STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS > Behind the Scenes Info
- Benicio Del Toro was the original pick to be the villain, but the negotiations fell through when the salary could not be agreed upon.
- Peter Weller, perhaps best known for his portrayal of Officer Alex Murphy in RoboCop and RoboCop 2, will appear as the captain of a ship in the film and had previously starred in the Star Trek: Enterprise episodes "Demons" and "Terra Prime."
- Star Trek Into Darkness is the first Star Trek film to use IMAX cameras for filming and the first Star Trek film to be released in 3D.
- Alice Eve and Benedict Cumberbatch previously worked together on Starter for 10.
- Michael Dorn, known to the Star Trek universe as Worf in Star Trek: The Next Generation(and its subsequent feature films) and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, was originally approached with for a role in the film, portraying "an officer, a solider." While Dorn was interested in the part, the offer was later revoked as the producers didn't wish to intermix prominent actors from previous Star Trek outings into the film.
- Both Bruce Greenwood (Christopher Pike) and Leonard Nimoy (Spock Prime) will be reprising their roles from Star Trek.
- While appearing on the late-night talk show Conan, J.J. Abrams presented the first look at Star Trek Into Darkness, showing three frames of a scene with Spock inside a volcano.
- On December 14, at the IMAX 3D screening of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, 500 select theatres will be privy to a special nine-minute sneak preview of Star Trek Into Darkness.